Whites Hill-Pine Mountain Community Group Inc. is a non-profit and non-political community organisation. They are the local community assisting the Brisbane City Council in developing a long-term management plan for the Whites Hill area and the surrounding linkages to Bulimba Creek.
The group is dedicated to looking after the natural environment, especially the Whites Hill, Pine Mountain, and Sankeys Mountain areas in the southern suburbs of Brisbane City. They have a close working relationship with us (B4C) and with Norman Creek Catchment Coordinating Committee, as we all have a common cause, that is to care for the environment.
Mission Statement and Objectives:
- The object of the group is to represent residents and other interested groups of the local area in the future planning for conservation and management of the Whites Hill-Pine Mountain reserves (between Boundary Road and Pine Mountain Road) and adjacent areas, for sport, recreation, flora, fauna and other associated projects.
- To submit advice to Brisbane City Council for proposed use and management planning.
- To publish, print and circulate leaflets and papers that may be conductive of the aims and objects of the group.
- To seek partnerships and sponsors to resource our projects.
How to Enjoy Whites Hill Reserve:
- Hike in the bushland on the established walking tracks
- Go birdwatching or orienteering by day and spotlighting at night
- Pack a picnic lunch or have a barbecue with family and friends
- Play in the children’s playground
- Play ball games or participate in other activities on the common
- Exercise your dogs in the specified off-leash areas
- Do some serious personal fitness training on the tracks in the hills
- School students can arrange biology excursions with their teachers
How You Can Get Involved
The group hosts two guided walks each month. Wear covered in shoes, hat and bring a water bottle.
Pat’s Walk for Pleasure: Pat had been hosting this walk for 20 years. It’s now run by Heather Barns. Second Sunday of the month, meeting at the carpark near the touch football club house and adult gym equipment. Entrance off Boundary Rd, Camp Hill. April – Sept it’s 8am to 10am and in Oct to March (warmer months) it starts at 7am. Moderate pace. Phone Heather 0410 840 343. Morning tea is provided after the walk so please RSVP for catering.
Peter’s Walk: Fourth Sunday of the month. meeting at the corner of Kildare St and Jones Rd, Carina. 8am – 9am. Phone Peter 3843 4410 or Heather 0410 840 343.
Working Bee Dates:
Whites Hill Bushcare meets on the 3rd Sunday each month from 8 – 10am. Location within the Reserve changes depending on the activity. It could be planting native trees, watering, removing weeds or other activities to assist natural regeneration. Wear covered in shoes, hat and bring a water bottle. For more information, contact group coordinator Rod on 3398 2101 (after hours) or email rodney.L003@optusnet.com.au
Phillips Creek Bushcare meets occasionally. Meet at the park in Whatmore Street, Carina. Generally weed control of vines and other exotic plants, to assist with natural generation. Wear covered in shoes, hat and bring a water bottle. For more information, contact group coordinator Peter Ph 3843 4410 (after hours), email email@example.com