Below are events run or supported by B4C. Come and join in some of the great activities happening around the catchment and beyond!
Whites Hill Bushcare GroupSunday, Oct 20, 2019 7:30am
Whites Hill Reserve7.30-9.30am. Normally meeting on the third Sunday of the month. This small Habitat Brisbane group would love some help with its monthly working bee at a site within Whites Hill Reserve. Please wear suitable clothing, sunblock, insect repellent and a hat. Bring your own reusable water bottle. Meeting point TBC. Afterwards you're welcome to join the group for coffee / brunch at nearby cafe. Contact Rod on 0431 922 837.
Logan Village LibraryJoin wildlife carer and ecologist, Stefan Hattingh, as he talks about the habitat loss of local owls in urban areas, the impact of rat poison leading to their decline and the nest-box projects that are offering hope.
Free but bookings required (via above link)
Whites Hill, meet cnr Jones Rd & Kildare St8-9am. An easy one-hour walk around Whites Hill Reserve, guided by members of the Whites Hill – Pine Mountain Community Group. Please wear covered shoes, a hat and sunscreen. Meet at the reserve entrance, corner Jones Rd and Kildare St, Carina. Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times inside the reserve.
Sustainability Centre, Cnr Wright St & Old Cleveland Rd, Carindale9am-12pm. Guest speaker at 9.30am. Have a tour of the community gardens and native plant nursery. Learn about our recent projects and activities and chat to our friendly team. We also have a book swap stand. We're also selling Boomerang Bags, natural honey and jam! But no need to buy anything - just come along and take a look and have a chat over a cuppa. Morning tea provided (gold coin donation or free for B4C members).
B4C - Annual General MeetingWednesday, Nov 13, 2019 10:00am
B4C Sustainability Centre, Cnr 1358 Old Cleveland Rd & Wright St, CarindaleGet an update on our recent activities and how we've progressed this year. Morning tea provided. Everyone welcome. Please RSVP so we have an idea of numbers for catering.
Seeding Success Forum – Innovation in RestorationSunday, Nov 17, 2019 9:00am
Seven Hills Hub Community Centre, 28 Tallowwood St, Seven HillsTickets will be available soon via eventbrite. Watch this space! 9am-3.45pm. The BCC Community Conservation Partnerships Program welcomes you to attend the 2019 Seeding Success Forum - Innovation in Restoration. This event will explore how innovations in technology, ecology and the conservation industry can impact on our bush care practices. A full-day program of speakers includes:
* Dr. Ash Tews, CSIRO - recent trends in the use of “AI” technology in habitat management.
* Stefan Hattingh, Operations Manager, Bulimba Creek Catchment - innovative methods of rodent control in bushcare settings.
* Jutta Godwin, Education Officer Cubberla-Witton Catchments Network Inc - development and implementation of a program of a local community education program.
* Peter Brenton, Atlas of Living Australia - development of the Atlas of Living Australia and how it may be used as a tool to drive community engagement.
* Dr. Sandra Tuszynska, Environment Coordinator Woodfordia - the role of fungi in soil health and ecosystem restoration.
* Dr. Lyndall Plant, Urban Forester - innovations in quantifying and valuing the ecosystem service benefits of urban forests.