Next events at Gibson Island
- Friday 25th January, 9am – tree planting
- Tuesday 26th February, 9am – Clean Up Australia Day for businesses
Instead of a degraded, weed infested and neglected buffer to Aquarium Passage, we envisage a full riparian vegetation community.
Instead of the region attracting dumping and illegal land use, we plan for there to be a protected landscape amenity.
In April we were successful with a Landcare Australia Coca-Cola Coastal Protection Grant for this restoration project!
Video from August 2018 (2 mins)
Involvement from industry and the community is helping:
- protect threatened wildlife including nesting birds, mammals and marine species
- protect the mangrove-lined waterway from erosion and sedimentation
- prevent sedimentation and potential pollution from overall industrial precinct and roadway
On Earth Day, 22nd April 2018, we launched the Gibson Island Rehabilitation Project. Local industries and our members, volunteers and friends gathered to contribute to the environmental and social health of this industrial region and the significant estuarine areas of Aquarium Passage.
Guests included the Federal Member for Bonner Ross Vasta and the State Member for Bulimba Di Farmer.
Read about the launch event.
Where is this project site at Gibson Island?
The map below shows the Gibson Island project site (red line) and our other nearby project sites (green stars). It site is at Paringa Rd, Murarrie. Click on map to view larger size map.
Environment and Industry working together for waterways, wildlife and people
SUPPORTERS OF THE GIBSON ISLAND REHABILITATION PROJECT
INDUSTRY PARTNERS / SUPPORTERS
ENVIRONMENTAL PARTNERS / SUPPORTERS