On the first Saturday of every month (except January) we hold an open day at our Sustainability Centre in Carindale.
The Open Day starts at 9am. Grab a cuppa and enjoy a tour of the community gardens and nursery. There’s a presentation at 9.30am for approximately one hour. Each month there is a different speaker (paid by our environment fund) on an environmental and/or sustainability issue. Following that we have a yummy morning tea! The event is normally finished by 12pm.
We’d love to see you there!
2017 Sustainability Centre Open Day speakers:
- Saturday June 3rd: Sustainability Consultant Jane Milburn of Textile Beat talking about waste, sustainability and the slow clothing movement.
- Saturday July 1st: All about squirrel gliders! With Rachael Williams and Stefan Hattingh.
- Saturday August 5th: Robert Pekin of Food Connect Foundation. Food Connect founder.
- Saturday September 2nd: Professor Rob Capon (biologist) re the Cane Toad Challenge.
- Saturday October 7th: Dean Bleasdale talking about permaculture.
- Saturday November 4th: Mike Fox talking about PollinatorLink.
- Saturday December 2nd: John Moss of Native Plants QLD talking about Mistletoe.
- No Open Day in January
Recent Open Day Guest Presenters:
- February: Jessie Cappadonna, QUT PhD student & management committee member of Australian Citizen Science Association, re citizen science.
- March: Australians for Dolphins’ Jordan Sosnowski.
- April: Andrew Stovell, Arborist, talking about habitat trees.
- May: Anne Cleary, Environmental Scientist at Griffith Uni. Re health and well-being through nature connection.
Open Day Guest Presenters in 2016:
- February: Jock Mackenzie from Mangrove Watch at JCU / Tropwater gave us a presentation on local mangroves and issues regarding the condition of our wetlands.
- March: A fermented food presentation, demo and tasting by Roslyn and Mario Bono.
- April: A presentation on bugs by entomologist and director of BugsEd, Michelle Gleeson. There was also some insect-inspired original artworks on display by artist Martine Lloyd.
- May: A presentation on natural resource management by Andrew Davidson, winner of the Catchment Care Luminary Award.
- June: Dean Bleasdale, AKA ‘Green Dean’, gave us a presentation on ‘urban farming’ and his recent trip to Korea.
- July: Mike Fox of Pollinator Link & Mt Gravatt Environment Group gave us a presentation on Pollinator Link and got locals signed up to the program.
- August: Professor Darryl Jones, Griffith University, on “fauna movement in Brisbane”.
- September: Viridian Energy talking about their sustainability projects
- October: Paula Peeters – ecologist, artist & writer talking about ‘nature journaling’
- November: Gail Allsop spoke about and demonstrated natural solutions with herbs, essential oils & plant uses.
- December: Debbie Pointing, President of Koala Action Group.
For more events, check out our events page.